SIT #115

Thursday, June 20, 2013

Note: If you've come here looking for my TCM: Fancy Flourishes post, please scroll down.

So excited to be back in the swing of a two-pager at Sketches in Thyme!  I've got pictures perfectly fit for this format absolutely running out my ears, y'all!  And just in case you're not a regular follower of my blog and would love a few tips on making these two-page sketches work for you, I'd be honored if you'd check out my Double Page Layouts Made Easy Tutorial on Shimelle's Blog.  Without further adieu, here's how I was inspired this week.
I started this layout by using my Cameo to cut the scattered stars along both ends of the polka dot embossed, kraft, base pages.  I then backed both ends with strips of navy, polka dot, patterned paper and stamped a few, strategically-placed splatters in White ink.  As did most of the goodies in my layout, that splatter stamp came in my JBS June Papercrafting Kit, and I've got to tell you that I'm absolutely in love!  I've wanted one of these for ages and ages.  LOVE the look of a splatter, but I don't much like the lack of control on where it will go, especially when I've already begun applying elements to my pages.  This image solves that problem completely, and Jenni has designed it without flaw.  (Insert BIG puffy heart.)
A trio of color-coordinating, patterned papers, anchored with both blue-threaded straight and white-threaded, zig-zag, machine stitches, span the length of both pages; and a perfectly-matched, postage, patterned paper was tucked into the top edge of the red, damask strip.  I then anchored a strip of red, white, and blue ribbon near the bottom edge of the red, damask, patterned paper and tied it, in a bow, on the left side of the layout.  A large doily, split in half, as well as some bits of cheesecloth, prep the pages for my photo grid, which was matted on Whisper White cardstock and adhered, in the center of the design, spanning both sides of the layout.  Upon closer inspection of the left side...
you'll find the "fireworks, FAMILY, FOOD, & FUN" title, which was created from blue, chipboard alphas; chalkboard letters; red, shadow alphas; and dimensional, cork letters, as well as a yummy, large, Cameo-cut, from a skinny, chevron, patterned paper, ampersand.
Just to the right of my ribbon bow and under my photo grid, I tucked a pocket, which I folded, across its top edge and embellished with a vintage button, laced with white string.  Inside is a White, cardstock, journaling card, which boasts a paraphrase of last year's 4th of July Rewind post.
I've stamped the "details:" flag, in Brocade Blue ink, on White cardstock and hand cut it out to remind me of just such; although, you can see a touch of the journaling through the pocket itself.  A "the perfect day" tag...
as well as a few star sequins, which pour over onto the right side of the page...
turn our attention that direction.
In the center of this page, I created a cluster of fun Elle's Studio tags, as well as a "Home Sweet Home" tin pin...
and a couple more Elle's tags, one of which houses the July 4th, 2012 date and who's end was wrapped with a length of Baker's Twine, tied in a bow, ground the gray, journaling label, which reads, LOVE to just be @ home w/ my family!, and completes the look.
Further inspiration for this layout came from the JBS and Elle's Studio Inspiration Week Challenge and Lasting Memories' Challenge #144: Tell Me a Story.  And here's this month's final Challenge #115 sketch to get you off and running in the right direction.
Don't forget that you have until the close of the month, on Sunday, June 30, 2013, to link up your takes, in the right hand column of the Sketches in Thyme Blog, to be in the running to be named one of our Top 3 and guest design with us during the month of August.  Thanks, as always, for stopping by!  It simply means the world to me.  Hugs!

{Supplies & Tools}
Stamps: paint splatters (Jenni Bowlin); Detail Flags (Elle's Studio) Paper: Whisper White (SU); White (Wplus9); polka dot embossed kraft (Bazzill); navy polka dot (Jillibean Soup); gray chevron (October Afternoon); red damask & postage (Jenni Bowlin); ivory floral & skinny chevron (Elle's Studio) Ink: Brocade Blue (SU); White (Wplus9); Black PITT artist pen (Faber Castell) Other: white & blue thread (Coats & Clark); sewing machine (Janome); red shadow alphas, chalkboard letters, star sequins, & Scattered Star cut file (Jenni Bowlin); ampersand & Cameo (Silhoeutte); red polka dot envelope (Pebbles); blue chipboard alphas (Basic Grey); cork letters (JoAnn Fabrics); Americana ribbon (May Arts); vintage button (My Mind's Eye); white string (Hobby Lobby); Baker's Twine (Clean Country Paper Supplies); "the perfect day", "how sweet it is", scalloped "today", "Love!", & starry edged & red framed labels (Elle's Studio); "Home Sweet Home" tin pin (findingnana); foam tape (Scrapbook Adhesives); large doily (Wilton); cheesecloth (Dritz); gray cardstock sticker label (October Afternoon)

22 comments:

Milagros C. Rivera said...

I am SO in love with this page Jinny, way to rock the sketch!!! love the stars and the sequins and the stitching and all those wondeful photos!

Miriam Prantner said...

WONDERFUL layout! Love all the photos, but still lots of white space, the stars and that striped ribbon/bow. Great element!

Doreen Vasquez said...

Your layouts are always so fabulous!!!

Lisa said...

Very fun pages Jinny! You can tell it was a hot day, just look at their little red cheeks...so cute! I'm with you, stay at home family celebrations are the best ;)

Charlene said...

Awesome!!! I love the scattered stars and the stiching, the layour, and pics are so cute!!!

Savannah O'Gwynn said...

WOWOWOWOW! What a fab 2 page LO! LOVE the way you die cut the stars....love the added ribbon and little envelope with the journaling! There is so much detail in your creations-- LOVE LOVE LOVE it all:)

Savannah O'Gwynn said...

That should say-- There ARE so many details in your creations! I can't type today! LOL!

blsd2scrp said...

love this! I always am inspired by your two page layouts! thanks for the inspiration and motivation!

Kirsty Vittetoe said...

This is a great layout Jinny, I always admired when one do 2 pager (because I can't), love all the happy colors and fun details, especially the kids picture, just so darn cute!

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

*sigh* you amaze me!! This is gorgeous! I love love love the photos, the colors, the stars and the stitching!!!

Ashley Horton said...

Another stunning double page layout Jinny!! Love the grid design with your photos and the layering and clustering with your title area is really amazing!

Kara Lynne said...

Your pages just absolutely capture a moment in time! Beautiful photos and love the cut out stars!

yyam said...

Oh my. This looks fabulous. Love the entire composition...the colours, the stitching and all the perfectly placed elements. :)

Chantal Vandenberg said...

Love this double pager! So much fun!!!

Larissa Heskett said...

So LOVING your FUN 2page Layout!! The pics and all of the cute little stars!! Such a Great take on the Challenge!! THANKS for sharing and have a FABULOUS WEEK!! =)

Iris said...

Love all the details on your layout.

betsy (pharmgirl) said...

wow! This is a gorgeous double pager!

Elizabeth Campau said...

What a lovely Layout Jinny. I love all of the detail and those stars really pull the LO together. Thanks for joining us at Lasting Memories.

Elizabeth LMDT
http://visionsofpaper.blogspot.com/

Denise Pustelniak said...

Terrific! Love the colors! Looks like FUN!
Thanks for joining us at Lasting Memories

Claire R said...

Wow, awesome double pager! I love how you told your story with so many pictures and journaling. Love the title and how you were able to repeat "f" and use different alphas.
Thanks for joining us at lasting memories.
ClaireR, LMDT

Tracy said...

Amazing! I can see why you love the splotch stamp. So many fun elements. Hugs!

Monika/Buzsy said...

Awesome spread Jinny. Love how many pictures you fit on the pages. Great colors and papers.