Let's Get Trendy Now! 3: Stitching

Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Well, hello there!  It's stitching day over at the Let's Get Trendy Now! 3 website, and I've worked up a layout that uses both machine and hand stitching to anchor papers and dimensional elements, create a handmade embellishment, frame my creation, and even make a custom background design.  Check it out!
I started this layout by machine stitching a brown-threaded, straight-stitch frame around the outside edges of the notebook, patterned, paper, base page.  I then tucked a multi-colored, chevron, patterned paper into its bottom center; anchored it, down both its long sides, with white-threaded, zig-zag, machine stitches; and topped it with a Cameo-cut, with the silhouette images, piece of Soft Suede cardstock, before machine stitching, with brown-threaded, messy stitches, large circles, to create movement and pattern, throughout the design.  The orange circles were created by paper-piercing around the inside edges of a circle template and hand stitching their entirety with three of the normal six lengths of embroidery floss.
A strip of yellow, polka dot, patterned paper was secured, horizontally, near the top of the layout, with white-threaded, straight, machine stitches; before I matted my photos, in a row, with Whisper White cardstock and secured them overlapping the bottom edge of that polka dot, paper strip.  Just above the paper strip, I created my "FIRST DAY OF school" title from red, shadow alphas; mini chalkboard stickers; and orange, glitter letters.  The latter two were secured in place with more white-threaded, straight, machine stitches.
I then created a vellum pocket, for my "MEMO" journaling card, by folding it into its present position; punching a half circle in the top center of the short side; and machine stitching, with white-threaded, straight stitches, first, unfolded, across its top, punched edge and then, folded, to create the rest of the pocket.  After securing it, just below the bottom right of my photos, I stuffed it with my journaling, which reads, You both were so anxious to start school this year... Ezekiel in the 4th grade and Adina in preschool.  I just couldn't be more proud of my hard workers and hope you're {love} for learning carries  you all through life.  {love}, Mommy.  It's left edge was then embellished with a wired, paper feather; vintage, tin pin; yellow, gem-studded blossom; and a vintage, wire, bird trinket, which I secured in place with a few, embroidery floss, hand stitches.  A "place:" tag, which I used to fill in the home, 8.08.12 details, grounds the look.
A chipboard school bus was then tucked into the clustering and grounded with a white, "smile", cardstock sticker, which I couldn't resist adding a touch of glitter to; and a little, turquoise, embroidery floss, french knot confetti completes the look.
Further inspiration for this layout came from The Studio's June 2nd Challenge: Stitching and PageMaps' Paper Mixology Sketch.
Be sure to stop by the Let's Get Trendy Now! 3 website, as well as the Let's Get Trendy Now! 3 Facebook Fan Page, to see lots more inspirational projects, from all the talented designers, throughout the course of our June 3rd to June 7th workshop, but specifically for ideas that demonstrate stitching today.  Challenges for each trend will run through the end of June with individual prizes for each trend and one grand prize for a player who has joined us for all FIVE trends.  Can't wait to see what you all do!  Thanks so much for stopping by!  Be blessed!

{Supplies & Tools}
Paper: Whisper White & Soft Suede (SU); yellow polka dot & multicolored chevron (My Mind's Eye); penmanship paper (Crate Paper); vellum (Paper Studio) Ink: Black PITT artist pen (Faber Castell) Other: brown & white thread (Coats & Clark); sewing machine (Janome); silhouette cut file, red shadow alphas, red chalkboard letters, wired leaf, & vintage tin pin (Jenni Bowlin); Cameo (Silhouette); orange glitter alphas (Sassafras); turquoise & orange embroidery floss (DMC); paper piercing tool, 1-3/8" Circle punch, & Dazzling Diamonds (SU); vintage bird trinket (Maya Road); "smile" cardstock sticker (Jillibean Soup); circle template (Fiskars); chipboard school bus (Crate Paper); yellow gemstone-studded blossom (Pebbles, Inc.); red "place:" label (Chic Tags); "MEMO" journaling card (My Mind's Eye)

18 comments:

Miae said...

Love all those stitched circles! I always admire stitched details on page...well done!

Shannon White said...

Wowie!! What a Super Layout Jinny!! Love the Sweet pics and your Awesome Fancy stitching too! 8-)

hugs
Shannon

Shahrul Niza said...

WOWW!!. Adorable layout with amazing stitching of all kinds :). I'm smitten with the circles!. HUGS.

Lynn said...

I love the stitched circles. They add the perfect amount of dimension to your layout Jinny.

Lizzy Hill said...

Saw this over at Let's Get Trendy & just came by to say how FAB i think it is!!!! I really love all your stitching & that chevron paper is yummy on it!!!:):):)

~amy~ said...

oh my WOW...this is awesome Jinny! Love the silhouettes, the stitching, the pictures...everything!

Ros Crawford said...

Gosh this is amazing ... i just love all the stitching and the fabulous little details that make your pages so special!

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

I am OVER THE MOON EXCITED that you are with us for Let's Get Trendy 3!!! This is JUST AMAZING!! WOW WOW WOW!! I loveeeeeeeeeee all those stitched circles!! WOW!!!

Kelly said...

those circle are too cool!

Kara Lynne said...

When I saw stitching was on LGT3 I immediately thought of you, and then there you were! I always love your stitching and this is amazing!

Lisa said...

Love the fun stitching Jinny! Cute pics and colors too!! Have a great day ;)

Miriam Prantner said...

What fun stitched circles! I love it! Love that row of silhouettes too, very cool!

Ashley Horton said...

Great reveal for Let's Get Trendy, Jinny!! Love the bright colors and your stitching adds a perfect touch!!

Angi Barrs said...

Love this happy page. I'm such a big fan of your stitching!

yyam said...

Stitching perfection Jinny! I love your incredible stitching work on your layout! I'm so glad you joined us as guest designer at Let's Get Trendy Now!3. :)

Anastasia (Νατάσα) said...

Such great, perfect stitching! Love the circles you have made - I could do with some classes on machine stitching, lol! Thank you for joining us at The Studio Challenges!

Tracy said...

Cool! Got another question for you. When sewing the circles do you pencil one in lightly first to have something to follow or are you just that good. :-) LOL I would NOT have a circle if I just eyeballed it. Another page of amazing eye candy!

Milagros C. Rivera said...

This is totally awesome work Jinny, you rocked the sketch and I just simply adore your stitching!!